Thursday, October 1, 2009

Busy Busy Barcelona

A lot of this week has been spent deep in thought, walking a TON, and setting up my room here at Calle Corcega 672.  See?  Here's a picture of my apartment building, as promised:



I've been out and about all day every day.  Tuesday I walked down to Passeig de Gracia looking for a new bedspread and pillows, and stopped in to one of Gaudi's homes, the Casa Batllo.  I was pretty impressed with that, I have to say. 


The next day I found my way to Montjuic to play Ultimate and then walked alllll theeee wayyyy hooommme that evening, discovering two new running routes along the way.  Today I picked up bits and pieces such as a lamp for my side table (lampera para mi mesita), a mirror for my room, and a beach mat to take to the beach with me.  In between all of that, of course I'm getting to know my area of town, and I get to walk past the Sagrada Familia every day.  It takes my breath away every time.  I think, since my Spanish classes are going to be held in an office right in front of the Sagrada Familia, I'll stop and actually go inside next week! 


Yesterday I had time to have lunch with a new friend, Rosa.  Rosa lives in Gracia, a very cool part of town only a few blocks north of here, in an open-concept home with a back garden that is sunny and quiet.  She has a gem of a place, and she is totally cool lady.  She doesn't speak a word of English and so I had a very fun afternoon trying to follow her train of thought and learn new words.  Always handy to have the pocket dictionary at the ready in these types of situations.   I'm going to enjoy her friendship. 

And it's been warm out.  Yesterday I think it was 25 or 26, today 30.  Not sure what is in store for the weekend in terms of weather, but I'm still wearing my shorts and birkenstocks, and that's all that matters!  YES!!  (yes, today was a beach day!)


I really like both my roommate Pam and her boyfriend, Lucas.  I still have to say I'm not totally comfortable with the living arrangement.  I can't really sit in the living room with them when they're having their dinner because it's just not a big enough space.  The kitchen is too small for a table and chairs, and so more often than not I find myself sitting in my bedroom twiddling my thumbs after dinner hour.  I think that one factor right there will get very old, very fast.  But here's the thing: the current unemployment rate in Spain is at 18.9%.  They are expecting that to get up to 20.2% in 2010, and that's only a couple of months away.  Lucas now makes up a part of that climbing percentage, and who the heck am I to say NO HE CAN'T LIVE HERE BECAUSE I AM A PRINCESS AND IT DOESN'T SUIT ME!  ?  I really have to stop and think about things: how bad is it really?  It's a very small place, it's true.  But it could be worse and I know it.  And for me to move right now, just days ahead of commencing my long-anticipated Spanish lessons, would just not make any sense to me, and would probably just be stressful.  So I'm going to deal with it, and keep in conversation with Pam about it.  But for now things will stay as they are.  That's my executive decision. 

There have been moments this week that have been really tough for me emotionally.  I walk down the streets that Dimo and I walked down on both our vacations here, and suddenly I'm remembering things that I had forgotten, or was in denial about, and floods of emotions hit me right on the Passeig de Gracia.  I can hardly contain myself at times.  Its hard, you know?  I feel so insignificant sometimes, but then other times, like today while riding the subway and watching everyone come and go all over the city, I realize that I'm a part of this buzz too now and that, yes, I am really here.  I have to pinch myself more often, I guess.  It keeps me humble.  :)

Since tonight I am tired of sitting in my room by myself (and since I've taken to drinking cafe solos on a daily basis and I'm wide awake at 10:52 pm!), I'm going to a discoteca.  "Discoteca" is the Spanish word for "club", and you should know that "club" is a word that the Spanish do not use unless they're referring specifically to a "strip bar".  I've chosen to check out the discoteca by the Port Olimpico called "Cat Walk".  Apparently Thursday through Sunday nights are the eves to go out around here, and there are many wonderful choices that I can't wait to sink my teeth into!

Tomorrow I have finally made plans to hook up with Jessie McNeil, a friend of a friend who is also living here.  I hope we can find some mischief together.  I think she's an Elemental too.   :)

In closing, I just want to say how wonderful it's been Skyping with all of you this past week, too!  Isn't Skype awesome?

Love, Charleen xoxo