Sunday, September 20, 2009

All About Patience

Most of you will already know that I am a little short on patience.  I've learned to temper that a bit, but it still is something that I work with daily. 
My flights over were totally fine, uneventful.  When I landed in Madrid, I was briefly transported back in time to about age 25 or so, when I first went backpacking through Europe on my own.  I remember how nervous and scared I was, and how lonely I felt the first few days.  Within a matter of days though, I released those emotions and got into the freedom I had afforded myself and the excitement of the journey ahead.  Well this was exactly the same thing I felt while sitting for 5 hours at the Madrid airport waiting for my connection to Barcelona... and I had to do some deep breathing to remind myself that I'm okay, things will be fine, and this emotion, like all else in life, will eventually pass. 

Arriving in Barcelona felt familiar and strange to me.  I do feel at home here in this part of the world, and I have ever since the first time I visited years ago.  However, I had always imagined that this journey would be taken with my husband, and so more tears fell as soon as I hopped into a cab.  Again, more releasing and letting go, and replacing those anxious feelings with feelings of anticipation of my new life here in España.  Driving through the crowded streets of Barcelona gave me new energy, even though it had taken 18 hours to get there and I was beat!  Coming down the hill towards my apartment, I smiled when I saw the sparkling Mediterranean only a little ways off in the distance, and silently gave thanks that I´m not too far from the beach - heck, I bet I could run it in about 15 minutes!  It is so awesome!  And as promised, my new roommate Pam was waiting for me at home.  She was not kidding about the stairs to get up to our apartment.  Our building is about 120 years old, and was probably considered quite fashionable in its time.  Now though, with its narrow staircase and no elevator for relief, it is almost comical to come home to.  There´s a real vintage, Catalan feeling when you walk through its doors.  I giggled and proceeded to haul my heavy bags up the 4 flights or so to the "second" level.  Second level my ars!!  But that brings me to another topic:  my bags!  All arrived okay except for my beloved Rubbermaid container, which had in it my Accu o Matic machine (for non-needle accupunture and, more importantly, for facial rejuvenation! Worth about $2000!), my linens and towels, 3 (count 'em!) pairs of Italian boots, 1 pair of Italian shoes, and all my Spanish workbooks, including my dictionary, verb conjugation book, and the cerlox binder that I so lovingly put together for this trip and has all of this past year's education in it.  And what does Spanair say about my precious Rubbermaid container?  Nada.  They know nothing.  Not a sign of it anywhere.  Mother f-ckers!!

Ok, so all good.  I figured at least I am safe, my most important articles are safe, and I have a great home, in a great locale, and I am happy.  Right?  Seems like a pretty normal conclusion to come to, I'd say.  Friday evening was spent getting to know my roomie and her cat, Sammy, the area around my home (Hospital San Pau/Familia Sagrada, which ROCKS!), buying a new cell phone number (please take note: 011 34 634 833 315), and wiping the slop out of the inside of my toiletry bags (there's always at least one bottle that's bound to explode!).  Even that I did joyfully. 

Saturday morning I walked the route to my where my spanish classes will be held, and which will take me about 10 minutes to walk from my door to my teacher's door, no problem!  Heck, there are even two small sushi restaurants on the same street as my school!  Imagine my delight at finding those!  OMG, I almost cried when I saw them!  I smiled all day long, even when I stopped into various cafes to ask if they had cafe con leche de soya (cafe con leche with soy milk instead of regular milk, which makes me feeling like barfing), and they said they didn't.  I was amused with the opportunities to try my Spanish out, because this area of town isn't so touristy and very little English is spoken. I also realized there is a lot of Catalan being spoken in Barcelona.  I enjoy hearing the differences between the two languages, and linking Catalan to my knowledge of French, too, when I can.  For instance, "buenos dias" is good day, or hello, in Spanish (Castellano).  But in Catalan, they say "bon dia", which to me looks and sounds like a cross betwen French and Spanish.  I am totally tickled by these types of things, and I thought I was pretty dang smart to catch these finer details on my first day in Barcelona!  And you know something else?  Not only does the area I live in totally rock, it´s also within walking distance to a train station that took me straight out to the airport within about 25 minutes!  Can it get any better??  I mean really!

Well, it can get better apparently.  There is definitely room for improvement in my experience thus far.  Because somehow Spanair has succeeded in losing yet ANOTHER one of my bags!  And this time I'm totally choked about it!  I had packed two carry-on sized bags especially for my trip to Ibiza!  I just figured I'd carry everything on board with me, no problema, right?  WRONG!  I get to the airport and only one carry-on bag is allowed, and that includes carrying on a purse!  Give me a break!  I am so not down with Spanair...but I decided to just let it go and humbly checked my small suitcase which has all my clothes, toiletries, shoes, heck it even has my underwear and my brush in it, AND my LAPTOP computer!!  If anyone can tell me how the frig' Spanair can lose one small bag going directly to one small place, I´d like to hear about it!!  And its funny, cause I was hearing the voice in my head screaming at me as I checked my little suitcase in: don´t do it, don´t do it!!  I didn´t have a choice though, and decided that I was just hyper sensitive due to my container already going missing... so don't worry Char!  Everything's cool!  yeah right...

I feel only a little bad for the guy at the car rental counter who I was extremely rude to after filing yet another blasted missing baggage claim.  Actually, if I could have, I would have jumped over the counter and strangled him, even though he clearly has nothing to do with my missing bag.  He's actually lucky.  It could have been worse for him.  Poor guy.  I'll bet he deals with this all the time, frustrated customers projecting their anger onto him.... yeah, it´s gotta be pretty normal for him, right?  Hey look, no one ever said that fairies don't have a temper... actually we have quite wicked ones...

I had just enough time in Ibiza Town last night to buy a couple necessities: shampoo, conditioner, cleanser, a pair of shorts and a tank top to wear today.  Then I drove through Ibiza Town to the Marina Botafoch (yes, that´s its real name!) and snarfed back a couple of delicious tapas while watching the Germans come and go to their yachts.  Then on the way home I took the wrong roundabout a couple of times, but I giggled the entire time because, hey.  If I can´t laugh at myself then who can I laugh at?  And besides, taking the wrong route is part of the journey, don't you agree? 

I thought you would.  :)

This morning still no word of my luggage, and I'm desperately trying not to freak.  All else aside, if I don't get my laptop back I might just have to end it all!  After breakfast, I drove the scenic Es Vedra route (which brings tears to my eyes every time without fail) to visit my friend Alok for tea.  He laughed at me and said in his German accent "Aahh, so you're letting go of everything, eh Charleen?"  Yes, yes apparently I am.

So I am now killing siesta time writing this from an internet cafe.  I adore siesta.  It is so chilled out, and now on the island the crowds are not as heavy and it super awesome to be back here.  Although I would have liked to share pictures of my new home with you all, it shall have to wait because those photos are on my laptop.  I am going to get my suitcase back, and I am going to have my laptop back, intact, safe, with no damage whatsoever to it.  Yes I am.  And next week when I leave the island for home, I am going to carry on BOTH of my bags, and Spanair can kiss my round Italian butt if they dont like it!  And once I get my bag back, I think I'm going to go and treat myself to a Tino de Verano, or something as delicious, and maybe even a few of them.  Afterall, I am on vaction.  In the meantime, it is warm and raining on the island of Ibiza and it gives me a good chance to drive around, explore, and feel the freedom that I have come to live for.

Stand by...

Charleen xo