Monday, June 28, 2010

New West Coast Experiences

This past weekend was full of hiking and festivals. Now I am starting to get into the freedom and independence that makes being single a really great thing.

After doing the BCMC trail last week, I couldn't wait to get up there again on Saturday morning and asked my good friend Maggie to join me. Maggie is from Vancouver and has never done the Grind or BCMC, or been up to Grouse Mountain at all. She just thought it was always too cliche to bother hiking it. She impressed herself fully by completing the hike in an hour and a half, and I was very impressed by her good nature.  Some people hit a wall early when climbing Grouse Mountain, and then whine and complain all the way up.  But not Maggie. She was happy to be up there in the wilderness, breathing the fresh air and getting exercise, and experiencing something totally new! We laughed and got stuff off our chest all the way up!  Very therapeutic.

After the hike Maggie suggested that we hit one of the many festivals that happen in the Lower Mainland during the summer: the BC Highland Games and Scottish Festival.  I had heard about this particular festival in the past, and having never left my own city for a festival, and deciding it was time to start making my own memories again, I full-heartedly agreed!  So off we drove down the highway to Coquitlam with the sunroof open and trance music blaring all the way.


Besides the fact that the weather was perfect, I have never seen so many hunky men dressed in kilts in one place before in my life! I mean seriously.  They'd smile and say hi to Maggie and me, and all I could manage to reply with was "Ha-Ha-Ha-Hellooo!", complete with heart palpitations and hot flashes! Then Maggie would have to practically carry me away from them, because I was tripping over my tongue. I am so pathetic when it comes to hunky men.  Even the on-duty RCMP were dressed in tartan.

All I've got to say to an RCMP in a kilt is: "YES SIR!"

Maggie and I felt an instant heart-connection with this beautiful Hawk.  He had a gentle, loving energy.

When I first arrived I admit I was a little cheesed out by all the tartan, celtic sing-a-longs and highland dancers, but I decided to be open-minded about the whole thing.  And since Maggie is a Scottish lass herself, I owed it to her to be hospitable. 

Highland dancers in competition

But the honest truth is that after only a short time I was completely impressed and realized that there is a large and very proud Scottish community here in the Lower Mainland.  The part of the festival that I ended up getting hooked on was the Pipe Band competition.  I know I know, we all think bag pipes sound like dying cats, right?  Well that is so not true!  An entire band of them with a large drum section can actually be quite mesmerizing and rhythmic.  I was super impressed with them, and having grown up participating in a girl's marching band myself, I very much enjoyed watching them march and drill and play to the crowds.  By far the best band there was our very own SFU Pipe Band, followed closely by the Portland, Oregon Pipe Band.  I mean, who knew??  

Seriously, if you just hang out for a few minutes and watch these video clips, you'll totally get into the rhythm too!


The drummers are really fun to watch!  The bands were judged not only on their performance, but the sound quality of their bagpipes, the music selections, their uniforms, everything.



Just like at any festival, there was a variety of vendors selling Clan tartans and Scottish regalia, but Maggie and I instead chose to shop for JEWELLERY!  Oh, and there was of course a sunny Beer Garden for working on the tan, and which also gave a great vantage point for watching the men... I mean the bands...

Two Fairies buying jewellery at an outdoor Celtic festival.  Sounds perfect to me!

Ahh, BC's west coast.  Probably one of the only places you can get away with wearing your hiking gear and still look fashionable!  Just brush out your hair, put a little lip gloss on, and you're set!  Gotta love it!


 We were having so much fun that we didn't even notice how famished we were! On the way home we found a fantastic sushi place in Coquitlam (who knew Coquitlam even had sushi restaurants!?)

This was actually some of the finest, freshest, yummiest sushi I've eaten in a long time. 
We are so spoiled with great sushi here on the west coast!

Saturday night was spent with my new man-friend Malcolm, watching movies until the wee hours of the morning.  It turns out I've found my equal when it comes to critiquing movies.  He has an eye for detail and is good at discerning.  Almost as good as me!  :)

The next morning, Sunday, I of course dragged myself out of bed to the promise of a fresh cup of coffee that Malcolm was making me, and then I hit my Ashtanga yoga class.  There simply is nothing like it on Sunday mornings, and this class is definitely becoming my religion.  No, I won't ever be a true yogi.  But all the benefits I get from doing it are completely worth laying low on a Saturday night for.

Another good thing about not partying on Saturday night is that Maggie and I were able to again go hiking, but this time it was up to Port Moody and behind Buntzen Lake Park - a ridge with several peaks called Eagle Ridge.  Maggie and I hooked up with our friends, Tod and Alex, who are extreme athletes and triathletes, and we thought for sure we were in big trouble allowing ourselves to follow them up a mountain side.  And even though the first part of the trail was wickedly steep, Maggie and I got through it all, climing the first part of the Halvor London Trail up to Polytrichum Lookout, and then taking another side trail further up the mountain to the White Rock Trail.  At the end were magnificent views of the entire Lower Mainland.  It was cloudy and rained off and on yesterday, but it was warm and still awesome!

  
No hike is complete without stopping at Starbucks first!
From left: Maggie, Alex, and Tod

Maggie and Kenya, just starting the long climb uphill



Stopping at Polytrichum Lookout for a short break

Apparently the boys never go hiking without the Fireball.  They claim it keeps them warm.  
Riiiiiighhht....

I really loved the variety in this trail - at one point we had to grab hold of tree roots to climb up an enbankment, and hoist ourselves over fallen trees to make it down to another ridge. 
And there was lots of mud too!  Loved it!


Screaming Hamstrings!!!

About two hours in

Finally making it to the White Rock after about two hours fifteen minutes.  Elevation: 1100 m.


Can you see Vancouver?

I actually took footage coming back down the trail too!

Downhill trail running.  What a blast! 
There are fewer things better than running through a forest by yourself.

At the end of the trail.  Sweet!


Yay!  We did it!  One of the most strenuous hikes in the Lower Mainland! 
Total time: 4 hours.

Can't wait to get my shoes muddy again!

Standing on the edge of Buntzen Lake

Today I didn't think I was too sore, but since sitting so long in one place to post this, I'm definitely finding it difficult to stand up!  Ouch!  But it is entirely worth it.  Can't wait to experience more of the West Coast's day hikes! 


Charleen xo

No comments:

Post a Comment