Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Holland Comes To Canada

My last day of class was Friday.  I sure didn't like the intensity and stress of preparing lesson plans.  But I do miss my classmates and the students that we taught and got to know, and I even miss our two teachers.  It was a super hard month and I enjoyed being busy with something.  I still can't believe I did it.

Right after class, I drove downtown to the Rosedale on Robson and checked in, brought my bags up to the little apartment I had reserved for the weekend, and placed little tealight candles throughout.  Then I took a quick shower and headed for the airport.  Ries was coming into town for the weekend, and there was no way I was going to be late picking him up. 
When I was pulling into the parkade at YVR I got a text from him saying "Just landed!", and I knew I'd just make it on time.  Once inside I took a seat in front of the TV screens so I could see when he was on his way out of Customs and coming down the hallway.  Or at least that's what I had intended to do. I wanted to give him a right proper Canadian welcome!  I noticed a few people wearing orange sweatshirts, the Dutch national colours, and I thought "It's only going to be a minute now..." and focussed on the screens even more intently.  It was just getting to be a few minutes longer than I had thought it should have been taking and I was thinking "What happens if he's lost his luggage, or?", when my cell phone started ringing.  It was Ries' number.  Good grief!  I picked it up..."Hello!!?" and his silky-smooth Dutch accent crooned back at me "There's a sexy Dutch man standing behind you..."  I jumped in my seat and everyone sitting around me heard me exclaim "WHERE??" as I turned around and saw him standing there behind a pillar about 10 feet away, with his big blue eyes and a huge grin on his face, laughing mischievously.  I jumped up and marched over to him saying "But HOW did you get past me? I didn't see you!", expecting fully that he would be let down by my unceremonious greeting.  But instead we threw ourselves into one another's arms.  Just like the last time we met in Barcelona, we stayed in that embrace for minutes not moving, just breathing.  He was still the same.

The weather in Vancouver wasn't too bad this past weekend - it was warm enough to stay outside for hours even though we had to carry an umbrella for the light showers that sprinkled down on us.  The weekend was full of double espressos, brunch in Gastown, dinner in Yaletown, walking down Robson Street, driving up to Whistler, and hopping on an Aquabus to Granville Island.  He completely embraced the Canadian culture, and thought the world of Vancouver.  I realized that it was the first time that I had actually played "tour guide" to an overseas guest in all the years that I've lived in this fair city, and I got to re-live it all again by seeing things through his eyes. 

Sitting as Kings do, at the Hotel Van.

Ries loved the Art Gallery and the Hotel Vancouver,and he enjoyed walking through Gastown, saying "I read about this in my book!" and snapping tons of photos. "I feel like such a tourist!" he said several times throughout the weekend.  "Well honey, that's 'cause you ARE a tourist!" I'd laugh at him, his eyes wide open, map in his hand, trying to soak in every inch of the city in three days.  He also commented on how nice everyone is.  "Are they always like that?  Is that normal??"  He couldn't believe it when the guy working at the hotdog stand said "Hey, how's it goin' guys!" with a genuine smile as we strolled by him, hand in hand.  Ries responded enthusiastically with an over-the-top "Very good, thank you!", and then under his breath to me "Why is he being so nice, Charleen? I can't believe how nice everyone is here." 

Ries had never been to North America before, and I am happy to report that I represented our continent and country more than well during his stay here.  He loved the Sea-To-Sky highway and the scenery and he said so many times as we blasted the trance music and drove up to Whistler spontaneously on Sunday afternoon.  He got to really feel the Olympic spirit and didn't stop smiling.  Not even once. 


I took him to trendy Glowbal for dinner and he thought it was the perfect spot.  He couldn't get over how sharp looking and trendy Vancouverites are, and to be honest I think he really did think he would be spending the weekend in a hick-town.  Not that there's anything wrong with hick-towns, mind you.

We love Prawn and Scallop Satay, and a nice rare steak at Glowbal
(and the martinis are pretty dang good, too!)

Later we met up with Brett and Ana who were celebrating their birthdays (yep, two Aquarians!) at Ginger 62.  It had been many months since I'd seen either of them, and they were already feeling no pain when we
got there.  But then some steroid-monkey went and ruined it for them, and Ana, being the Luscious Latina that she is, fought him back but got kicked out for it!  No fair!  So we left early too. That's okay - the DJ was just alright.  He was playing "house".  hmph.  We like trance, man!  The only downer part of the whole weekend!

 
Happy Birthday you two!

Ana, Ries, and me.

Our time together was intense.  Like usual, we hardly got any sleep.  By Sunday night the jetlag had finally caught up with my double-espresso boyfriend from Holland, and while I made us a healthy dinner in our little apartment back at the hotel, Ries almost fell asleep sitting up in his chair.  We each drank a glass of Pinot Grigio and crashed early.

The next morning we woke up early and made breakfast as we played Armin van Buuren and lounged luxuriously all morning long, dancing in front of the windows not caring who in the apartments across the way could see us, or if we were waking any of our neighbours with our loud music.  It is always such a good time being with Ries - he has a child like spirit and a heart of gold.  He is an Elemental.  If it's not fun, don't bother doing it!  

Breakfast: Complete with Happy Planet Extreme Green juice.  You can't find that in Europe!


Then we strolled through Yaletown again, talking the entire time, and boarded the Aquabus for Granville Island. 

 
The view of the Olympic pavillions at The Roundhouse Community Centre, Yaletown, Vancouver

On the way over, of course Ries took tons of photos.  He chatted easily with the Aquabus driver, who wanted to know why he had come all the way to Vancouver for only three days.  "I had to see my girl!" Ries replied warmly.  Does he know how to make a girl feel special, or wha?!


I really enjoy that time in relationship where you marvel at every step your new lover makes, you watch his eyes change as he focuses on different things, or considers a different line of thought.  I want to get to know the expressions on his face, the way he walks, and the reasons why he sometimes gets tears in his eyes.  All of it is so beautiful.  Ries shares himself with me completely.  I don't think that I've ever met a man who wants to know all the answers to the difficult questions, wants to get through challenging topics, and sticks with it until we are both satisfied and content with the answers.  I would say that we have a really great communication style.  We never argue, but we definitely have clear boundaries and we openly express those right away.  It is difficult to misunderstand one another, because we talk about things as they come up for us.  And then we laugh!  Truly it is so cool.
  
 
At Granville Island


We could only spend a bit of time strolling through the market before having to jump back on the Aquabus to head back to Yaletown and check out of the hotel.  Three days went by way too fast.  But there was still so much to show him, so much to share, so much to experience together.  We squeezed in as much as we could! 

The view from Prospect Point, Stanley Park

We drove back through town and parked the car at Kits Point, then did some more walking.

Lots of walking.  Lots of talking.

Then we found ourselves back on Granville Island for lunch at Bridges, which has now been transformed into the Swiss House for the Olympics.  Very very cool!


Granville Island Lager and a Caesar.  It doesn't get much more Canadian than that! 
(no, he did not drink both!)

After lunch, we drove down West 4th, yet another area of town that Ries had read about and was happy to explore.  We stopped in at Lululemon to buy Olympic Lulu gifts for his family, and Ries even bought a shirt for himself that says "Eh!" on the front of it.  Then, after downing yet another cafe solo at 49th Parallel, we headed out towards Jericho and Spanish Banks so he could see the skyline from the western edge of the city.  And everyone has to admit that it is a pretty cool sight.  I think those beaches and the stretch of Marine Drive that winds and wraps its way back up towards UBC are some of the best parts of Vancouver. 

At the airport we let a few tears slide, and we promised we'd see one another again.  We don't know when that will be, but I can tell you that any time I get to spend with him in the future will be wonderfully therapeutic and tons of fun.  And I think that's the way love should be.  If the world could feel the love that we felt this past weekend, I know that there would be peace on this planet.  Famine wouldn't exist, and abundance would be something everyone could touch.  He has been a blessing to me, and he came into my life right when I needed it.  As if he must've known.   

Love is so healing.  Maybe you've felt it too?

Charleen xo

No comments:

Post a Comment