Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas in Valencia


I was blessed with warm, sunny weather on Christmas Day in Valencia. Like the Gods and Goddesses had answered my wish to go for a long bike ride by the beaches to celebrate Christmas in my own way, to give my respects to the Mediterranean, and, of course, to fully enjoy some of the best parts of Valencia – the beaches.



My one roommate, Paolo, had already left for Sardenia, and my other roommate, Mirabel, was celebrating Christmas with her family who live in Valencia. Manu was working Christmas Day, so I had a very quiet, calm, and peaceful last day in Valencia. Lots of people were out walking the foot path that runs along side the beaches, enjoying the day with their families. Check out the youtube video below:


I parked my bike and walked down to the water, which wasn’t too cold considering its December. I threw some wet sand back at the sea and promised to be back as soon as I could. Then I got back on my bike and peddled out to one of my favourite gems – CafĂ© Azul at the end of the marina. Secluded, sexy, and sunny.



When I got home Manu was just getting off work, so we cooked dinner together, and ate a little more than usual – the standard Christmas fair: crackers, cheese, chorizo sausage from Ibiza, and we drank cava and claras. ‘Tis the season!  Then we watched a Christmas music special on TV – I’ve gotten used to watching Spanish TV and reading Spanish newspapers. Can’t believe I’m throwing myself back into English just when I’m starting to really attach to the Spanish language… oh well. That’s what personal Skype classes with my professoras are for, right? I actually got to watch David Bisbal live on TV – he is the latest hunky superstar to emerge from Spain, and is currently living in Miami I believe.  I've been drooling over his photos ever since I arrived in Espana.  His music is just okay to be honest, but I don’t care about that. Heck, he doesn’t have to sing good to look good! Schwing!! I took a video of him on TV. Pant Pant…he can eat crackers in my bed.  I wouldn't mind at all.


I skyped with my family – everyone was at home in Cranbrook at my mom and dad’s place for the holidays, and it was so awesome to see everyone all in one sitting! I even got to talk with two of my nieces and one of my nephews. In those moments, as simple as they are, I have to really wonder how life can possibly get any better. Everyone was gathered around the computer to skype with me and I felt like I was actually there with them,-20 outside but the fire burning inside, cracking jokes, playing games, singing carols, and eating and drinking lots of yummy Christmas type foods and beverages. At the end of my call everyone cleared out of the room and left my mom there to chat with me for a bit, wearing her Christmas apron and proud of her turkey that was in the oven and the vegetables done. For some reason out of the blue I swelled up with tears right there on the computer, and I sobbed “Mom, I love you!” And of course as my mom always does when one of her children is crying, she got teary-eyed too. I am lucky to have the family that I have.

It felt very unreal to get up on Boxing Day to catch the train back to Barcelona with all my stuff. Believe me when I say that I am always this ---- close to not catching my flight back to Canada. I’ve left some things back at home in Valencia to ensure I return there for them, but also because I just can’t take it all back with me! I have no room in my suitcases! Ack!



I don't say that I am coming home to Canada.  I just say that I am going back to Canada.  Spain is my home now. 

And now I’m back in Barcelona, which is very different in both energy and look to Valencia. But that will be my next posting.

Felices!
Charleen

No comments:

Post a Comment