Monday, May 24, 2010

Above and Beyond

Celebrating a long weekend can not be done fully without 1) at least one BBQ, and 2) a first class dance show (preferably of the Trance genre).  Well this weekend I was lucky enough to have both!


My very good friend Mark joined me at my house for dinner with all the accompaniments (yes, I can actually cook!), and after a couple espressos to keep us going through the evening, we took off for the Commodore Ballroom.  The Commodore is one of Vancouver's premier venues, and any concert you see there, whether it be a live band or DJ, is always awesome simply because the place is so great.  I love the suspended dance floor for lots of bouncing, and the way they have the bars strategically placed and stocked with very well-mannered and professional staff.  The Commodore Ballroom has been around since the 1920's, and I think every Vancouverite will agree that just getting an opportunity to experience the venue is half the reason to buy tickets to any event held there.  Knowing this, the entire crowd was in a great mood.  No agros last night, nope!  Just happy, chatty people who loved the music.  It's the way it should always be, don't you agree?


Above and Beyond were playing, and Mark and I were super excited to be seeing them.  I saw them once last year here in Vancouver and they kept it pretty mellow.  But after seeing them at Trance Energy in Holland back in April, I knew they were capable of ripping a room apart.  And last night they didn't let us down.


  
Currently at No. 4 in the world, Above and Beyond are among the world's top trance DJ's.

My camera does not like trance music so it seems, and you can tell by the attached Youtube clips.  The music was phenomenal, but the video component in my camera (a camera that is "supposed" to be the top in its class - all the guys at Lens and Shutter each bought the same one!) does not record good base and all the fine variations of trance music.  The sound and the acoustics are amazing at the Commodore. Anyone will attest to that.  You just can't tell by the video.  hmph!  Friggin' drag!  I swear it's not my fault. 



Mark and I danced all night long, and Mark even stayed right till the very end, which is very uncharacteristic of him!  You die-hard, Mark!  Going out to dance to first class trance music has always been something that I'm passionate about, and I will never give it up no matter how old I get!  All day long today I felt free, happier, and excited about life!  Myself, I just don't get it when people say they're not into trance music.  If you don't get trance music, then you just don't get anything period. 

This trance-junkie is signing off for now... enjoy!
Charleen xo

No comments:

Post a Comment